Friday 25 June 2010

International Man of Mystery

Today I have mostly been visiting other countries.

I had an interview north of the border so I found myself  visiting Scotland for the very first time. Almost exactly half-way between hither and yon, I drove past Gretna Green where I am reliably informed my father was born. No mysterious nostalgic feelings occurred, nor did any ghostly highland music play, although the latter may have been drowned out by KMFDM ripping the system, said system being the car stereo of my totally kicking Toyota Avensis (Diesel).

The fuel cost being what it was (and the train costs being about the same) I am now officially unable to buy any shopping until probably the middle of next week, which means that as my current supplies run out on Sunday, I'm going to lose some weight. Hooray!

It also turns out I am deeply confused by windmills. The new generation of wind-power generators are absolutely huuuuge. The problem is that modern material science and aerodynamics being what they are, the windmills actually look too spindly for their size, so my brain processes them as being smaller than they are.  The speed of the blades looks deceptively slow right up until you realise how big the blades actually are and then there's a moment of contextual confusion as the true size becomes apparent. It's all very odd.

And I am very tired. Sleepy-nappy-nap-nap-time is now.

EDIT: In the penultimate sentence of my penultimate paragraph,  what I meant to say was "the blades seem to be moving too slowly until your brain realises how big they are, at which point you also realise how fast they're moving", but fatigue was making me gibber more than usual. I should not be allowed to post when tired. Or when not tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment